Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chin up and all that

I declared today to be "pull up your big girl panties day." I don't know if anyone else has a month they dislike but for me it's February. And I start my dread of the darn month about half-way through January. I know it's not normal to dislike a month but I do. I can't stand February. It's not like it ever did anything to me. I don't dread Valentine's, I have several great friends who celebrate birthday's in the month. I think I'm just done with winter and so I choose to unrealistically direct all of my winter doom and gloom onto one poor month. Why not March you say...I've wondered this myself...the only reason I can surmise is it is the gateway to Spring so I forgive it for getting in some last minute windy, gray jabs. But back to my point of the day...I declared today to be my "chin up and all that crap" day. I've been schlepping through these last few weeks in a sad rotation of yoga pants, flannel jammies, and (gasp) sweat pants. I'm talking REAL sweatpants-the kind with elastic around the ankles. I'm so ashamed! All are beloved pieces of clothing but are not to be worn on a daily basis! Add to this winter desperation my Grandma passing away last week and I could see myself heading down a casual wear, carb coma one-way street. It was not pretty people! Thankfully I have a strong willed conscious and some great friends to put me back on track. So today I reclaimed the sass I inherited from the Grandma who when asked why she wanted to be cremated replied," Because they won't bury me face down for the world to kiss my ass!" 

Tonight in our own attempts to embrace February AND bring warmer days forth, we made summer smoothies and played corn hole or corn hog as my unique 5 yr old calls it. I'm not big on correcting those phrases that I'm going to be wishing I'd remembered to write down-I just jump up and down and fist pump when he yells, " CORN HOG!!!" I'm already wishing he still called umbrella's, rainbrella's. I prefer a twist on the norm...clearly



3 comments:

  1. You go girl.....have a great rest of the month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand and feel very much the same about February. Perhaps today should be my "chin up" day! Smoothies sound like a great plan and anything that helps usher in spring and warmer weather is a good idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel better~I have and wear quite frequently pink ones with elastic at the bottom.

    When the mail comes, I put on jeans, run out and grab it, come in and change again. :( My goal is to be in non-elastic pants by the time Michael gets home. I'm feelin' the need for warm weather too! Hang in there, it's coming.

    ReplyDelete