Monday, March 14, 2011

Odds and Ends

Odds and Ends is just another way to say, " here's all the stuff I meant to blog about but never got around to"... so let's get to it...

1. I find myself at once fascinated and horrified by the lizard thing in our house. I feel bad for it because my cats pounce on it's cage constantly. It does nothing but eat crickets and hide in leaves all day. BORING! Nick has tried many times to "tame" it but it has made it perfectly clear it wants no part in regular recess. This lizard was one of my husband's GREAT (inject sarcasm) ideas. The thing is more work than my dog and 2 cats combined. Climate control, only distilled water, the smallest of the small crickets... I call it the Diva. Her name is Lizzy. The other day Parker woke me up by holding a cricket he found about an inch from my nose. He thought it was HILARIOUS the way I screamed and jumped out of bed. I hit the end of my bed so hard I still have a bruise almost the entire length of my shin! Boys! Here is a picture of her molting? I have no idea what you call it but I must say it does fascinate me...

2. Boys and mud. Bob and the boys recently went on a Dad's only camping trip. Well, us Mom's can come but seriously...why would we?!? We say how it would be so great for us to have a few days to get the laundry caught up, clean out the closets...blah, blah, blah but really that's prime finally getting a girl's night out time, catching up on all the trash t.v. and chick flicks you've missed time followed by racing around like a lunatic the morning they're coming home so it looks like you had a really productive weekend time! Hint: just spray something that smells really good and have the floors swept. Your family will think you worked so hard you didn't even sleep. And I've lost focus again...back to the point. When they came home from the weekend my oldest was a tad out of sorts. All the chaos, free for all eating plays havoc on his tourettes so I took him out for a hike and a good ole' romp in the mud. At one point he had so much mud and grass stuck to his shoes he couldn't lift his feet. I wish I would have captured the smiles but I at least got a picture of the shoes...

3. My dear husband travels A LOT! This is hard for everyone. Sometimes we forget how hard it is on him. It has been especially hard for him in terms of his coming to accept Nick and his tourette's. When you don't live it day in and day out I think it's easier to try and dismiss things. Also, I'm sure it is hard for a man to face certain things about his son. However Bob is making huge strides in his acceptance and support. Just last week Nick was having a particularly rough day and Bob happened to be working from home. He calmly took Nick outside and kicked a soccer ball back and forth in the fairly cold weather ( Nick insisted on wearing shorts). Exercise works wonders for a super charged nervous system. My husband taking time out of his busy day to do this works wonders for my soul. He is a good man.

side note: not only do I despise winter, I despise the insane wind tunnel that constantly blows all of our mulch away!

I have much more to catch up on but I think that is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment